The Tan Man

The Tan Man

Welcome to Thankful 4 Tanner

Hello all! And thank you for visiting our blog about our family and precious baby Tanner. Here you will always find up to date information about Tanner. I know sometimes it's hard to get ahold of us when you are wondering how Tanner is doing. So here we will post information we recieve at his doctor's appointments. We will always post Tanner's biweekly weight checks and overall growth. We'll post all of his accomplishments that seem to be coming daily. He's always trying something new. Thanks again for visiting and caring about our precious gift from God.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Tanner is reaching his goals

I have to admit that Tanner's weekly occupational therapy session this morning made me a little emotional. We set goals for a him a couple of months back like sitting unsupported, pushing himself straight up on his arms, and playing with toys. Tanner is just doing so wonderful and starting to do all of these things! Everyday we play with stacking cups and he holds them sometimes. Other times I hold them in his hands for him and bang them together. He always enjoys that and smiles. Today it was obvious that he was trying to do it himself. After a couple of failed attempts to hold onto both cups at the same times while also trying to bang them together, Tanner's OT held one cup for him and he just went to town banging the other cup into it. Thank goodness I was behind the camera this time because I had tears of joy streaming down my face. I'm just so overcome with pride.
At the end of his session he was playing with his phone rattle and began to switch hands. Sonny (Tanner's OT) and I both kind of freaked like "oh my....he's switching hands". He then dropped it but I think I startled him. Sonny was so impressed. She said switching hands is a huge milestone. Tanner is really becoming aware of his surroundings.
When Tanner was first born and we received his diagnosis along with his prognosis we wondered if Tanner would EVER do these things that he's accomplishing right now. Not that I'm a total pessimist but I was definitely not expecting him to do these things already by the way the syndrome was described to us. It just goes to show that even though kids with WHS have many similarities they are still all so unique. There's just such a wide variety of characteristics of the syndrome that some may pertain a lot, just a little bit, or not at all. It's really quite mind boggling to me.
Here's Tanner on his knees at his little table (actually mommy's closet footstool). It's a little high for him. I've been searching for something that may work a little better for him to play. I saw a little soccer ball stool that would be a perfect little table for him but I bet I won't be able to find it now that I actually want it.

He's starting to do well holding something in each hand. Other than his little telephone rattles these stacking cups seem to be the easiest for him.
Tanner has physical therapy tomorrow morning so hopefully I will have another fun video to share. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Way to go Tanner! Our babies are making huge gains and it is amazing to see them developing the way they are. We have the same stool that you used with Tanner. I covered it with some of the non-stick shelf liner and Riley does great with it in tall kneeling, perfect height for that position. Keep up the good work Tanner! Jess, get ready for more tears because Tanner is going to blow everyone away.

Lauren said...

Tanner is awesome!

Unknown said...

Go Tanner... those smile milestones such as passing things from hand to hand in our kids world is huge.. Its great to hear that so many WHS kids are doing so well... YAY to all the fantastic mummys who put in all the hard work... Well done !!!

Kim said...

So proud of our Tan Man!!!