The Tan Man

The Tan Man

Welcome to Thankful 4 Tanner

Hello all! And thank you for visiting our blog about our family and precious baby Tanner. Here you will always find up to date information about Tanner. I know sometimes it's hard to get ahold of us when you are wondering how Tanner is doing. So here we will post information we recieve at his doctor's appointments. We will always post Tanner's biweekly weight checks and overall growth. We'll post all of his accomplishments that seem to be coming daily. He's always trying something new. Thanks again for visiting and caring about our precious gift from God.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

You have got to get one of these

So, we are in LOVE with the iPad and so is Tanner. I'm writing today to show you ours, how amazing it is and to possibly help you get one for your WHS child as well.

When I first heard about and started to research the iPad and it's "special needs" applications I knew we had to get one. I had heard also that there are ways to get grants to get one for a special needs child. I'm very impulsive and wasn't sure I would have the patience to see if we would qualify for one. The more and more I stewed over it I decided we were just going to buy one with Tanner's fundraiser money. It made sense. We raise the money to get things we typically wouldn't be able to get for him. Plus it didn't seem fair to be given a free iPad when another child that may not have a fundraiser could be given one. That didn't stop me from finding out how to apply for those grants though. That's one of the things I will share in this post. I'll also share 2 videos of the iPad in use and will share with you our favorite applications.

The first organization is The Prayer Child Foundation. Click on "submit a request" from the left hand column and will give you instructions on how to apply. You write a letter and mail it in for this one. This group decides once a month what their budget is and who they will approve and deny. Everybody is notified within 4 to 6 weeks what the status of their request is.

iPads4U. This also just requires you to write or email a letter explaining how an iPad would benefit your child. They then decide which families would benefit most.

iHelp for Special Needs. This is also a simple email. Click on "Need an iPad/app" and follow the instruction of what to include in your email.

The Conover Company. This company is actually a maker of apps for the iPad and iPhone. You can fill out an application by clicking "Fill out an application online" right at the bottom of the page.

I'm sure there are so many ways to get grants for an iPad. These are just a few that I found. Warning though: I did see a few that required an application fee. DO NOT pay any fees!!!! Anything that makes you pay upfront for something you may not receive is a rip off. It would be wonderful if insurance companies would cover an iPad. I don't see it happening soon but they cover communication devices that are far more expensive than the iPad so who knows:)

Here's 2 videos that show just a glimpse of this amazing technology.







No comments: